Monday, August 23, 2010

Moonshine

I went out after supper tonight to try out the night settings on my camera. Once I saw the moon, I wasn't really interested in photographing anything else.
But the moon is shy tonight. It's hiding behind the trees. The pale, creamy moonshine is spilled across the velvety sky and the dappled through the trees and on the grass, but the moon itself has slipped behind the trees, wanting to avoid the paparazzi like me, no doubt.
I stepped around the garden, keeping an eye on the moon. As I reached the other side the trees disappeared from before the moon, but the moon was swathed in clouds and would not be persuaded to come out.

The mosquitoes, much less shy, were also enjoying the moonshine. Despite the thick coating of mosquito repellent I applied to my skin before I went out, they flocked to me; humming shrilly and feasting on my arms and neck. Eventually, they convinced me to come back indoors ...where there is no moon. I suppose it's just as well when the moon won't come out and play with me, but the mosquitoes will.

Soon I will go to bed, and I will open the blinds enough to let the moon shine down on me as I fall asleep. Maybe it will even decide it's safe to come out from behind the trees and the clouds and I will be able to glimpse it's fullness before drifting into dreamland.

No comments:

Post a Comment