Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Secrets of public spaces

Have you ever just sat in a coffee shop or a park and observed the humanity that surges around you? I have. And when I have, I've noticed that there is a whole new and different world around me from the one I regularly see. Problem is, regularly, I'm not seeing. I go about my business trying to keep out of the way and go unnoticed, and in so doing, I miss out on a whole lot.
You know that 100th clone of the businessman in a suit? Well, while I waited for the bus one day, I saw him. He was striding importantly beside the park. A blossoming vine enveloped the fence around the park. Impulsively, Businessman-Clone halted and sniffed a flower, but in the same instant caught himself and hurried along again, looking nervously around him in case he'd been spotted taking time to sniff a flower (which by the way, is a very un-manly thing to do... according to my brother).
The millionth person to walk into the coffee shop jingling the bell over the door could stay just that. But you could look - and see the hippie girl that caused the bell over the door to jingle. She orders a pumpkin cappuccino, which sounds as odd as she looks. Then she settles into an armchair with her coffee and a very delicious looking book. That millionth person to walk in the coffee shop just took on a whole new dimension.
Suddenly she's not just another coffee drinker. She's a real person. With a quirky taste. And she loves books. Suddenly he isn't a clone in a suit anymore. He's a real person. With a heart. With love of life. With interest. And suddenly, the drab, bustling city has color and friendliness to it. There's the spice of endless possibilities in the air. It occurs to me that maybe I don't need my book or my laptop next time I'm out. A notepad and pencil could be very handy instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment